Saturday, 18 April 2020



THIS IS MY PIPE BAND!

Hi!

In my case I’m going to introduce you my pipe band. To begin, pipe bands are groups of people united to play their music. Music as well, is a way to represent and show to other people the culture of a place, because music is culture.


Santiago

Some countries like Scotland, Ireland, Galicia, Portugal, have their own type of traditional music and all of them share the bagpipe as the typical instrument to represent it. Maybe one person of a pipe band from a country doesn’t knows other person that plays in other pipe band from other nation but the musical culture makes that two people have something in common.


Luchon (France)

I really like music and since I was a child I’ve been in contact with the traditional music. I’ve been in two pipe bands in my whole life and I helped many others too. I have to say that the first time that I met the people of the pipe bands I was very shy and I didn’t talk too much with the people there but, of course, that was the beginning. Now we all are friends. Furthermore, my band has a lot of performances during the year and this performances are the best way to make new friends and improve the friendship with the musicians of the pipe band.


Balaídos’s stadium (Vigo)

In fact, we all have the feeling that we are like a big family because of the travels, situations, experiences and many other things that we share with each other. This makes me feel really happy because I realise that I can count on them and I’m thankful of that. Anyway, our band, Verea’s pipe band, has 20 musicians but we belong to other band that it’s bigger and it’s called Redegaita.


Strakonice (Czech Republic)

Redegaita it’s composed by 3 pipe bands from different places: Verea (Galicia), Lubián (Zamora), Aveiro (Portugal) and when we all are united to go abroad and performance together we’re like 70 musicians. In Redegaita you are able to play bagpipes, drums, kettledrums, bass drum and tambourines.


Luchon (France)

As I said, my pipe band has a lot of performances so, maybe you could find me playing during a wedding like in the two pictures below…


Ourense


Asturias

or performing in a village or a concert.


Ourense


Porriño (Pontevedra)

Not all times it’s funny to be musician because I met a lot of people from different villages or cities that didn’t care about us and saw us like a CD-Rooms that plays music all the time. But in general, I’m proud of been a musician and do all the things that I do because I met different people, played with important musicians as Carlos Núñez or The Chieftains. But the most important thing it’s that I made a lot of friends during this ten years as a musician.



International Bagpipe Festival
Strakonice (Czech Republic)

6 comments:

  1. This pipe band is awesome but my friend Fran is the best piper of the band. I had the luck to see Fran playing the bagpipe. I enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best! I remember the day when you played the song of Games of Thrones in class. It was amazing. I hope you do it again or even you can play a song at the closing party for the university.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you have a lot of talent playing the bagpipe, you have gone to a lot of places with your music group! Years ago I started going to classes to learn to play the bagpipe, I was good at learning the songs with the flute but when I tried to start playing with the bagpipe I gave up. It is not easy, you have to have a lot of coordination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe a bagpipe band does such incredible things, you traveled a lot and met a lot of people. I know there is a lot of work behind all your performances but it's surely worth it. May your adventures with your bagpipe band never end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Fran, it’s amazing!
    I knew that you played the pipe and were in a pipe band, but I didn’t know all you have done. It’s incredible because, with this, you now know many different countries and cultures and also you’ve met important musicians. Congrats for all you’ve accomplished!
    I wish you the best with your band.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that, Fran, it sounds like this is a really important part of your life – I hope to hear you playing one day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.