A team is a group of individuals working together to achieve their goal.
As defined by Professor Leigh Thompson of the Kellogg School, " team is a group of people who are interdependent with respect to information, resources, knowledge and skills and who seek to combine their efforts to achieve a common goal".
Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. But for me to be part of a team is more than that.
Here I'm going to give my point of view about my experience. I started playing basketball because of my mother, she used to play it when she was young and instilled in me this taste for basketball. After three years playing and training I couldn’t go on because there weren’t enough girls to make a team. At that time my course as a player was in stand by, even if I was still playing at school or in the park.
In 2013 my chance to play basketball returned, my brother´s coach ask me if I would like to join the team since they were looking for players and I said yes!
When I play basketball, I feel great, even though I’m not the best player. I learned that your deficiencies can be filled with your teammates and theirs with your strengths. The connection that is created within the court is transferred to the outside and you share with them everything about your life. Teammates became for me the best support inside and out, sharing so much time between us, of good times like when you win a game from bad times when you don’t have your best match or training. The best moments to reinforce this connection and friendship is the shower time, the bus trip or in the wardrobe where we tell our stories, worries, share anecdotes, learn to change ourselves, discuss, cheer up, recriminate and point out situations that lived in the court.
As well form part of a team teaches you to find a harmonious balance between remaining eager to play the sport, while simultaneously being focused on your academic goals can be difficult.
Overall, being an basketball player has been my fun and unique best experience. In addition to teaching me a deeper sense of time management and prioritization, it has come with many great things, including awesome teammates, friends and experiences. I miss play and train almost every day and would like to relive this experience a thousand times more.



I didn't know that you play basketball Iria! I really love this sport.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I feel the same with my pipe band, I mean, the team work, the sensation of been a family and the fact that you have a big support when you really need it.
And I also share with you the difficulty of find the balance between my hobby and my academic goals. I remeber a performance in Corsica (year 2014) when two days after my arrival to Galicia I had an exam, and what a mess of exam jajajaja.
I really liked your entrance and I hope to play basketball with you one day!
I never thought about all the implications of being in a team, but with your personal experience in a basketball one I think everybody should live this.
ReplyDeleteNowadays, children are enroled in many different activities and parents should consider sports as a way to teach them all the values involve in team work, because it's very important and could help them in many tasks in the future (for example, class work).
Thanks for all the enthusiasm you transmit about this sport and about team spirit, Iria – have you stopped playing because of your studies or just temporarily, because of the coronavirus?
ReplyDelete