Sunday, 26 April 2020

How being creative can help you during hard times


When I was thinking what to write here, I couldn’t find any topic in my life very interesting, but then, as I looked around myself and saw the situation we are in, I thought about how many of my hobbies can help people’s sanity and they are currently helping people all over the world to endure the quarantine.

First of all, I like to draw, read and write, and now I’m learning lettering, which is a discipline to learn other types of handwriting or calligraphy.

My attempts at drawing and lettering these last days

These days many people are doing live streams and videos showing their works as musicians, writers or artists for free. This shows us how creative matters can help someone to be happy, relaxed and peaceful in very stressful times, like mindfulness does in our classes.

As doing sport can help us realise our inner energy, drawing, painting, writing, reading and some other creative activities can help us to focus our mind in just a single task, forgetting the anxiety, sadness and stress caused by the coronavirus, and kill time.

All we know that, when we have a lot of free time, it’s very difficult for us to distract ourselves and, in the situation we are living right now, that difficulty has increased. We live in a world where we are used to do many things a day, going out and keeping always our head busy. But now, we can’t. At all.

So, here comes creative activities as a solution. Doing thes kind of stuff can help us mentally by letting us rest from the high stimulation we were often involved in and reducing the boredom. Also, by doing this we can active our memory, create bonds with other people living the same situation and with similar hobbies (virtually, of course), disconnect our minds from the alarming news, benefit our self-esteem or even reduce stress.

Although these activities are not taught as much as science and languages in schools, now we can see their real value and recognise how much they can help us emotionally and psychologically.

As for me, these last weeks, in the lockdown we are because of COVID-19, I have discovered many things that can calm myself like bakery and lettering. I have attend some live streams to learn to do flower crowns, mug cakes or tips for writing a romantic novel, for example.

Drawings of flowers for Sant Jordi's day
My attempt at homemade churros 😅

This has helped me a lot to get through the days, and maybe some of these activities can help you too. So, if you want to try and know how to spend this hard time at home, you can visit some of the following accounts:
  • Lettering Album (on Instagram, different classes at 5 p.m. every week).
  • Tombow Spain (on Instagram).
  • Escuela Cursiva (on Instagram).
  • YoMeMuevoEnCasa (on Instragram).
  • Bonappetitmag (on Instragram; they are also on YouTube).
  • Focus Features (on Facebook). This company do every Monday, or Friday, live-streaming events where you can watch some of their films.
  • Puck Editorial (on Instagram). It has shared six free ebooks these last weeks.
  • LIONSGATE LIVE! A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES (on YouTube and their website, during four Fridays since April 17).
  • Stay Home #WithMe (on YouTube). The most popular videos are reunited by categories.
  • Explore.org (on YouTube). It shares livestreams featuring animals from across the world.

Even you can practice English in some of those accounts!

Now, tell me. What are you doing during the quarantine to distract yourself? Can you recommend me or all of us something to kill time?

Please, leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I've really liked the drawings and especially the lettering part, I love watching videos of people lettering.The things The things I´m doing this quarantien to distract myself are workout, listening to music, watching series and videos...
    But I would like to draw like I used to do in Bachelor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing with us all this possibilities to spend time during the confinement! The churros you made looked good.
    In my case, I am doing exercise 3-4 times per week, cooking a lot and watching series. I also talk with my friends and relatives by Skype and have a Estrella Galicia at home almost every day, since the bars are closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ania, you have a lot of talent! I can see that you like art and that you are very creative. I love the pages you have shared. Sadly, I'm a very bad cook and I don't think I follow this type of account, but the rest of them are great. By the way, drawing seems to be a fantastic activity for these days of quarantine. I usually draw a little every day, and also I listen to music, watch series and talk to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice entry, Ania – I really like the way you describe what has helped you through this difficult time, share that with other people – in case it can help them– and are interested in what other people have been doing too. I’ve been doing a lot of meditation, some yoga and a little cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.