Sunday, 26 April 2020

My little group

Today I'm going to tell about my eperience with traditional Galician dance and the impact it made on me. But first: what is Galician dance? It is a kind of popular cultural demonstration made by corporal movements, most of them improvised, on a melodic or rhythmic song.



My experience started on 2003, when I was 5 years old. That year I had moved three times, so I had also changed from one school to other. I have always been a very shy girl, so I have never made friends too easily.
As in my school it was taught Galician dance, I decided to try it in a group called Xamaraina. As you can see, I started when I was a very young child...and I wasn't too good on it.

                 

Over time I was improving and when I was 14 years old, I promoted to the biggest group. Since that I realised that I enjoyed more Galician dance that I thought and instead of being part of a group we had created a little family.

                                                                                                                                                

As I said before I have always been very shy and I was afraid of speaking in public and also of the "what are people going to say about me?". Thanks to have started with the dance I found that it could be a way to evade myself from the rest of the world and the problems for some hours, and it also helped me to improve my self-confidence and to understand that those fears I had were stupid. This happened to such a point that I felt confident talking in public, almost as much as on a stage.

Another good thing that being part of a dance group taught me was learning the meaning of perseverance and that you can't give up, because hard work and the, sometimes endless, rehearsal hours turned into great things, like this:

"Carballesa no Auditorio San Benito.A Guarda"

But, as we use to say, "all the good things have to end" and when the university arrived and I had to live far from home, this activity also had to do it.
Since I left the group, four years ago, I haven't danced again. But I still have many beautiful memories of that time and, sometimes, it's ok to remember them.

3 comments:

  1. Reading your post, I can understand from where your pleasure for dance is come from. I would want to watch one of those performances in live, so, if some day you decide to return to any dance group, please, let me know. While this does not happened, maybe you can do a performance at the graduation. 😉 Never stop dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Alba. I couldn't stop a tear from falling down my cheek. Your story about how dancing has been part of your life is very beautiful but it makes me sad to read that you have stopped dancing. In the videos, you look very happy. I hope you dance again soon because you are quite good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s interesting, Alba – I enjoyed reading about why traditional Galician dancing has been so important to you and I enjoyed watching the video too. Most especially I agree with you about the importance of perseverance, in any field – I’m sure this is something you will be able to transmit to your pupils when you are a teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.