As we all know, we start to
learn English in school when we are young. But I am sure that we are all in
agreement that after all these years we haven’t achieved a good level of
English going to school.
So that’s the reason why I
decided to take the bull by the horns and start to learn English on my own, four
years ago. I must confess that since I was a child, I listen to more music in
that language than in Spanish and obviously it is helpful but, in most cases,
it isn’t enough. So, I want to share with you my experience with TV series as a
way of learning English.
First, I decided to search for an original English TV series and then I started to watch it but with subtitles. It doesn’t matter if you watch the chapters with Spanish subtitles at the beginning because you are accustoming your hearing to the pronunciation and other language factors.
After I watched my first TV series in English, I tried to watch the second with English subtitles and it was cool because I can understand what the characters were saying, sometimes even without watching the subtitles.
Now, I want to recommend two series that can help you to start that adventure because they are amazing and easy to understand.
One of them is Sense 8 and it is one of my favourite TV series. It’s the story about eight persons from different parts of the world who are linked mentally and their search to find a way to survive from those who want to haunt them. In the show appears important topics such as identity, gender, religion, politics and sexuality.
First, I decided to search for an original English TV series and then I started to watch it but with subtitles. It doesn’t matter if you watch the chapters with Spanish subtitles at the beginning because you are accustoming your hearing to the pronunciation and other language factors.
After I watched my first TV series in English, I tried to watch the second with English subtitles and it was cool because I can understand what the characters were saying, sometimes even without watching the subtitles.
Now, I want to recommend two series that can help you to start that adventure because they are amazing and easy to understand.
One of them is Sense 8 and it is one of my favourite TV series. It’s the story about eight persons from different parts of the world who are linked mentally and their search to find a way to survive from those who want to haunt them. In the show appears important topics such as identity, gender, religion, politics and sexuality.
The second is Lost and it is also one of my favourite
TV series. The story begins with a plane accident in a desert and mysterious
island where the survivors will find out that they’re not alone
These shows were the first that I watch in English and
they help me to incoming my reading, listening, speaking and writing skills.
But there are other TV series that I have watched later or even I am watching now
and they are also amazing. Some of them are Pretty Little Liars, How to get away with
murder and The Walking
Dead.
I hope I encourage you to watch an English TV series and to take the
bull by the horns.





It is a very interesting way to improve the English level and I also had practiced it few years ago and it works.
ReplyDeleteThe series that you recommmend are nice and famous but I prefer British series as "Vikings" or "Sherlock" because this is the English that we are learning.
Good job.
I’ve improved my English in that way too. I wasn’t very interested in English when I was 11 years old. But then, I started to watch some series or films in English. And I also started to listen to some music in English. Because of this, I changed my point of view. I think is great to watch films or series in the original version, they’re much better for me.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a nice post! I agree with you. I have learned a lot of English watching series in English. I have learned expressions, new vocabulary and I have improved my pronunciation. That's why I also recommend watching series in original version.
ReplyDeleteAbout your recommendations, I have watched " Pretty little liars" and "How to get away with murder" and there are amazing! I recommend you "Elementary" and "Gossip girl".
Thank you for your post Borja! I agree with you, sadly here in Spain we don't learn useful English at schools and one of the best ways to do it is listening to music or watching TV series or films. I loved Sense8 too, I think that it opens our mind and teaches us a lot of important values. I really needed some new TV series recommendations so thank you so much! According to Education, I think that using music and audio visual aids could work perfectly in primary school as a didactic, fun and different way to teach a forgein language.
ReplyDelete