Monday, 15 April 2019

Student exchanges as a way of learning foreign languages

I've been thinking a lot about student exchanges between secondary schools of different countries, because my little cousin has just made one. I thought that it could be very interesting to you as English students and as future teachers, so I decided to share her experience with you. 

My cousin (Ánxela) is in the fourth year of the Secondary School. The English department of her school organized this exchange thanks to the European Union financing, because they pay everything: the trip, the transport, etc. Her exchange has been with a school in Balbriggan, in Ireland. First, seventeen Irish guys came to Ribadavia (the village where this Secondary School is), and then, in May, fifteen Galician guys will go there for a week.

On Thursday, the guys from the Irish school returned there, so I could talk with my cousin and ask her some things about the experience.

She told me that as first, when she didn't know who was going to go to her house she was very nervous and even worried. She also said me that when you have an unknown person at home you are all time worried because you don't know if they are feeling well and confortable, if they need something. etc. This was specially difficult to her, because the Irish people were supposed to talk Spanish, but they only know how to say "hola, gracias, adiós", and as my aunt and uncle don't know too much English, she became a translator, and she was very stressed all the time.

However, Ánxela told me that the best of such an experience is to be able to communicate with people who don't speak the same language than you. She would repeat "1000 times more" because, despite the hard farewell, the time with that guys is wonderful. I had the chance to have one dinner with the Irish girl who came to my cousin's home, and it was very nice to talk with her and compare some things between Galicia and Ireland. 

My cousin and her classmates would recommend this experience to everybody. They say that it has allowed them to meet new people and to develop their skills with English. Now, they are nervous waiting their trip to Balbriggan, which they hope to be better. 


I've tell you all this only to recommend you to make something similar if you can, you won't regret! 😊😉

 

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing comment Patri! I totally agree when you say that you meet new people and you improve your language skills, that are the main reasons why I would recommend exchanges. It is really surprising and funny that Irish people don't know speak spanish but that's in part good too because you are forced to speak english! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that you say is very interesting. I know that nowadays a lot of Hig Schools do these exchanges. I think that It's very interesting and positive for the students that want to learn English, and of course, It's an experience to make new friends.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.