Throughout this
life, an in my opinion, all human beings have a purpose, a goal, which is to be
happy. However, life, circumstances do not make it so easy for us, so
everything that is presented to us we have to learn to know how to take it.
Like everything in
life, no one is born know, no one is born and already knows what solutions are
for the different problems that this life presents us, and I am convinced that
this life will end and without knowing how to solve many of the problems that
we will have at that time. Nevertheless,
for that reason, and from my point of view, we should not settle for that we
already have and that is resolved, but we must look for a series of tools or
places where we feel safe and that help us to be as happy as possible.
To achieve that
happiness and that goal, it is very important that our health is well-kept, and
not only physics, which we stop most of the time, but that mental health that
is equally dispensable. For this reason, I am going to talk to you about the
five most important pillars of my day-to-day life in order to achieve this.
One of those pillars, and I will start talking about is the family. I think having a warm and pleasant atmosphere in our home is fundamental. If we stop to think, when we are comfortable with a group of friends, companions… we are always usually nicknamed family, because it is that refuge where you are comfortable. That is why, for me, it is one of my fundamental pillars. I am also grateful for the importance, in which my parents have educated my sisters and me, in the importance of union it, the affection and pride of all the goals we achieve together or individually, as from the support of when something does not go well, but striving to help us get everything we want. (Drawing by Pablo Rosendo).
On the other hand, the importance of a good social group. As I commented earlier from the family, I think friendship relationships are a very important pillar and that you have to know how to take care of very well. Since unlike family it is something you give, a very typical phrase says “friends that family you choose.” That is why, as in the previous one, I think a good healthy pillar of friendship, which will help you achieve that final goal that life presents and that, therefore, will achieve that mental health that everyone needs is friendship. Recognise your friends achievements, helps when the other need it, laugh, and accompany in the life process those who present themselves next to us.
To continue with the third and important to achieve that happiness of it is own to do what we really like, so in my case it is to educate. Thanks to life, I can study something I really like and that I do with affection and enthusiasm, which makes me happy. Throughout my life, I have had opportunities and experiences in which I have been able to meet and realise that this is something that really makes me happy. Not only thinking about educating only in the academic sphere, but also doing so, in the field of free time, accompanying teenagers in their process, growing with them and helping them in what I needed, being a guide.
The fourth pillar, and very fundamental in my day life for a few years is to be aware of what surround us. Meditation is a tool that I have incorporated into my life for a few years, which helps me to be aware of what surrounds me, stop breathing and listen to what I have next to me. This tool has helped me a lot to keep my mind calm, namely, to identify what overwhelms me or is slowing me from moving forward, giving greater or less weight to my thoughts and concerns, and knowing how to value what other people were offended me. Therefore, meditation or mindfulness, even if they are not the same, make it achieve that mental health.
Finally, very
related to the previous pillar, something that helps me a lot is space and
music, and that space is the sea. Being aware of those needs I have, I have
sought a place where I feel clam with something and myself that helps me
connect with my inner self. So when I need to disconnect or when I feel more
nervous, I am looking for that moment to go to the beach or the sea, put on
music and relax, connect with myself.


Wow! What a good reflection Paula. I was waiting for a post related to mental health because I'm very into this topic too.
ReplyDeleteI am totally agree with you because the way I see it, it's very important to dedicate a moment for yourself each day. As far as I am concerned, it helps me to reconect, be peaceful and be aware of the importance of the little things.
Finally, I would like to recommend you a book in relation to this: The alchemist. It is a great novel that I read a few months ago which deal with personal development and self-discovery.
Well, Paula, maybe it´s too soon but I think your post is, probably, the most magnificient post of this blog, at least this year. And, why do I think anything like that? Because you´re talking about mental health, one of the most value things that, nowadays, it seems to be missing in our society.
ReplyDeleteHave a mission, a goal, a benchmark to step forward, always something not material, it is, without doubt, between the hardest things to get in our life.
Nowadays, there are so many meaningless elements around us, objects and ideas empties that we considerer importans but, actually, almost all of them are just dust, a bunch of inconvenients to distract our minds.
Aldous Huxley, the writer of "Brave New World" (in spanish, "Un mundo feliz"), described in 1932 a horrendous dystopia where people is always drugged with insignificant distractions, a global manipulation which get people don´t complain about the world, a world without real achivemients, just only distractions and obsessions about unnatural things without real value.
Now, Paula, and everybody whom are reading this, think about smartphones, about polarizated society, about the construction of "bad" and "good" people fighting for their own valors, think about fake news, about non stopping social medias which always have audiovisual upgrades and updates, about the sumbition of thousands and thousands of pictures uploaded in Instagram, and how we consume all this material in just seconds. It seems like Auxley was right, the dystopia is real and is there above, controlling us.
A incredible video (a piece of art, actually) that I always remember when I think about the actual society is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j800SVeiS5I&list=PLpcpvEBALeTo5SZ6jAgDtoYa7M6UOtZ0_&index=17&t=669s
Check it, maybe you will finish the video spechless.
But we have hope, we have a bunch of elements which helps us to stand up and, obviously, family and friends are part of them, and I put both together because they can be the same. Family is formed by people that never abandone you, people whom fight for you, for your progression, for your hapiness, and they are your family because you would do the same for them. Family is a core of reciprocate concern.
For this reason, Toretto, the feature character of the saga "Fast and Furious", express these ideas: "I don't have friends, I have family" and "you don’t turn your back on family, even when they do".
Existing into the universe is hard, because consciousness make us to realize about our emotions and feelings but, at the same time, push us to think about future and the meaning of present, that´s why we need to discover our goal, to trascend any kind of meaningless.
Our mind is full of thoughts, bad and good ideas, with an unstoppable dynamism, and we can´t run away of this mess because mind is a prison.
Chester, the memorable singer of the band Linkin Park (who, sadly, commited suicide in 2017) talk about this in the next video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC_-zeWYMYo
Everybody is stucked in his own head, everybody, but we always have the opportunity to organize our mental situation with some pillars, as you say in your text, and education need to prepare next generations to understand the deeply things of our soul, and face the reality without fear.
Have a goal and and a form to stay calm is the correct way to get the ideal mood and enjoy the present. Maybe, in some moments everything is covered by mud but, under these bad circunstances there is a treasure waiting for you, a life who must to be enjoyed.
For the last, I recommend a book called "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" and the movie "The Theory of Everything", both with protagonists who lost his body but have a mind to enjoy life.
I couldn’t have said it better, Paula! We sometimes stress out for many things that happen to us in our daily life. Otherwise, if we learn how to look at them from another point of view, reasoning them calmly, we could live happier.
ReplyDeleteMindfulness is a great way to find this peace. It is very interesting what you mention about having “pillars” so as to achieve good thoughts and to focus on the things that really matter. Now I realise and I agree with you in all of them, but I wish I lived near the sea! I miss its smell because it is very relaxing and it reminds me of the summer. In addition, I am glad that you added education as one of your five pillars. As future teachers who really love what we teach, we have to be comfortable with everything which surrounds us during this experience.
It is such a great post! :)
Thanks, Paula, it’s great to see how you’re learning to look after your inner world and your relationships – I’m sure this will be something of tremendous value for you to transmit to your future students!
ReplyDelete