During this activity you will have to work with
a TEDTalk. You might be asking: What is a TEDTalk? Well, according to
their own definition, "a TED Talk is a showcase for speakers presenting
great, well-formed ideas in under 18 minutes". Our purpose is to make you
think about schools and creativity, so do the following exercises and have fun!
BEFORE WATCHING THE VIDEO:
1.
In pairs, look at these paragraphs from
the TED Talk and try to order them.
“We know
three things about intelligence. One, it's diverse. (…) Secondly,
intelligence is dynamic. (…)And the third thing about intelligence
is, it's distinct.”
“Kids will take a chance. If they don't
know, they'll have a go. (…) They're not frightened of being wrong. I
don't mean to say that being wrong is the same thing as being
creative. What we do know is, if you're not prepared to be
wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.”
“I believe our only hope for the
future is to adopt a new conception of human ecology, one in which we
start to reconstitute our conception of the richness of human capacity.”
“In the next 30 years, according to UNESCO, more people worldwide will be graduating through education than since the beginning of history.”
“In the next 30 years, according to UNESCO, more people worldwide will be graduating through education than since the beginning of history.”
“Around the world, there were no public
systems of education, really, before the 19th century. They all came
into being to meet the needs of industrialism. So the hierarchy is rooted
on two ideas. Number one, that the most useful subjects for work are at
the top.”
“Every education system on Earth has the same
hierarchy of subjects. (…) At the top are mathematics and
languages, then the humanities, and at the bottom are the arts. Everywhere
on Earth. (…) Art and music are normally given a higher status in
schools than drama and dance. There isn't an education system on the
planet that teaches dance everyday to children the way we teach them
mathematics. Why?”
“Truthfully, what happens is, as children grow up, we start to educate them progressively from the waist up. And then we focus on their heads. And slightly to one side.”
“Truthfully, what happens is, as children grow up, we start to educate them progressively from the waist up. And then we focus on their heads. And slightly to one side.”
“I think you'd have to conclude the whole
purpose of public education throughout the world is to produce
university professors. Isn't it? They're the people who come out the
top.”
2. Take notes of the words or sentences you don’t
understand and see if you can solve your doubts with your group. If not, don’t
worry: do the following exercise and you will know the meanings. Make sure you download the file.
DURING THE VIDEO:
3.
Watch the video and check your answers
from exercise 1 with your partner.
AFTER THE VIDEO:
4.
Form groups of 3-4 people we will give you
a paragraph from the exercise and discuss the main ideas of them. Then, share
your ideas with the other groups to get to a conclusion. Take notes or
underline if you notice some ideas you disagree with.
5.
Look at this paragraph from this blog. What do you and your group think? Could Sir Ken Robinson be absolutely
wrong with his arguments? What are the things you don’t share with him? Do you
think he could be wrong in more things that he says in the video?
“The evidence isn’t often on Sir Ken’s side. He
mentions that the reason why women multi-task better than men is probably
because the ‘corpus callosum’ in the brain is thicker in women. It turns out
this is from one study in 1992. The evidence from a meta-analysis of 49 studies
from 1980 to 1997 shows that ‘no sex difference could be found in the size of
the corpus callosum, whether or not account was taken of larger male brain
size.’ This is just one example of the faulty evidence for his claims.”
I think that children should have the opportunity to develop their creativity at school. We have to try create contexts in each subject to promote their abilities.
ReplyDeleteI think that it's very important for children to develop their creativity at the school. I'm strongly agree with the phrase of Sir Ken Robinson "We are educating people out of their creativity". Nowadays, I think the school is "requiring" children a "dictatorial" way to learn, teachers won't let them express their ideas, so I think let creativity is as important as any other subject.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post, it's very interesting.
I totally agree with Kevin Robinson who surprised me in the video and I could enjoy a lot his humor and how he try to catch the minds in the topic with it (the humor).
ReplyDeleteMoving on, I think that nowadays children are confused and we haver to try to motivate them with different methods as a good teachers.
I also want to say that it was very interesnting the class that you did.
CONGRATULATIONS KATIA AND RAQUEL!
I´m going to start with the same sentence that Rafa, "I totally agree with Ken Robinson". I´ve been watching his videos for training reasons and I try to apply what he says in my working experience, at least to change my vision of education. I used to work hard on controlling my pupils´ behaviour, telling them off when they started singing for no reason, or dancing or getting up to move around the classroom. I´ve changed this, I work now encouraging them to sing, dance or move whenever they want or need, always respecting the others.
ReplyDeleteI think school lessons should be more relaxing, not focused on academic concepts and promoting the "arts subjects". I agree with Mr Robinson when he says that intelligence is dynamic and it´s a distinct and the problem is that the current education system fades the evolution of this ability. I think, we should, as future teachers, try to change this system and work for a more creative school.
I think that this post is the most interesting. We can learn a lot of information with Ken Robinson. His words are very important for us. We should never forget that the education should not decrease creativity!
ReplyDeleteExcellent, Raquel C. and Katia, and thanks again for sharing this in class with your classmates too. My only quibble is with the way you’ve structured the activities in the blog – I think how you did it in class was much better: exercise 2 before watching, exercise 1 while watching. Apart from that, well done, Katia, Raquel and TED!
ReplyDelete