Stress is a problem that affects our
society in different ways. As a result of this tension, in a lot of obsessive
cases, we create all types of illness, blocks, depressions and diseases.
For the reduction of stress the mindfulness
has turned out to be a great success in a internationally level, it is
recognized nowadays as the best intervention to reduce stress, anxiety and
emotional distress inside the context of mind-body medicine. "When the
mind is overwhelmed by events of the past or worried by threats of the future a
kind of automatic pilot comes on and makes us think things over and over in our
head leading to a state of near obsession that, far from solving the problem,
plunges us into deeper states of stress, anxiety or depression.”
Mindfulness means paying attention to
conscious experience of the present moment with interest, curiosity and
acceptance.
It is an ancient practice that
originated over 2500 years ago and is the fundamental essence of Buddhist practice
for the treatment of physical, and psychological, chronic pain, and other
symptoms associated with stress.
This practice is carried out by
Professor Stuart McNicholls during a class session with students. The initial
idea is to create a state of physical and mental activation even to a state of
stress, then search for deep relaxation and being able to connect body and
mind.
In this video we can see the progress and results of the study and the personal opinions of some of the students about this experience.
I had never done mindfulness until last year, but now, I think that it's a very interesting activity because you can connect body with mind. The video was what I most liked. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Goretty. The first contact I ever had with mindfulness started with Stuart last year, and I have to admit that initially I was a bit hesitant about it. Nevertheless, after lessons and lessons practising this technique, I must say that it works. It is not only an easy way of simmer down when you are stressed or even annoyed, but also it is a good way of knowing yourself better and take a look at what's happening in your inside.
ReplyDeleteOh my God, and here we are! hahaha. I don't know for the rest of the people, but it is a little bit strange for me to see ourselves in the video practising the activity and talking about it. It's a kind of mixture between something nice and weird, but funny anyway. A great video!
ReplyDeleteAbout Mindfulness, I agree with Goretti and Andrea. I practiced it for the first time some months ago with Stuart in class, and I recognize it could be peculiar at the beginning, but finally you end enjoying it. It's a great way to connect your mind and your body and to learn more about yourself. I recommend it to everybody!
I´ve just seen the video, it´s great! Sometimes when I feel stressed out I try to organize my thoughts by doing something like this but I´m never able to do it. Actually, I´m not even able to focus my attention on a 2-hour movie. I think it´s very interesting to connect body and mind, because our mind controls our body and if we can manage our brain we would feel happier and calmer. I can see the intereset of applying mindfulness in a class with children, specially at that moments when they are very excited, distracted or some of them suffer from ADHD. But, in any case... I´m sure I need minfulness myself!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mari Carmen and Rocio V., I enjoyed reading your text and seeing the video☺ - as Jorge says, it’s kind of strange seeing us all on film. Andy Warhol was right, we all get 15 minutes of fame nowadays☺
ReplyDeleteThere are two things I want to comment on: one, an important objective of the exercise, as well as the things you mention (simulating stress, then relaxation, connecting mind-body, etc.) was to work with mettà (loving kindness, towards oneself and others), hence FLASHmettà… And second, you include an interesting quote in your entry ("When the mind is overwhelmed by events of the past or worried by threats of the future a kind of automatic pilot comes on and makes us think things over and over in our head leading to a state of near obsession that, far from solving the problem, plunges us into deeper states of stress, anxiety or depression.”) but you don’t say who the author is – remember that in academic work (and especially next year in your TFGs), it’s great to quote other sources but you must do so correctly. Here in the blog, you could mention the author, publication and year or just include a hyperlink, for example. Nevertheless, overall this was good work – thanks for sharing it.
This year was the first time that I had the opportunity to know this methodology and I had a very positive an enriching experience. Mindfulness is an important method that allows us to connect our mind with our body and helps us reduce the stress, a problem that some people have.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the video a lot, but it feels a bit strange seeing yourself practicing mindfulness.