Thursday, 30 April 2015

How music affects humans

 1.       Music promotes creativity. But how?
Music has the power to stimulate our minds. When you listen to instrumental music your mind starts to create a story about what you are listening. The same thing happens when playing instruments, your brain works to tell a story without words.

2. Education&music... Success!

On the one hand, music is a great tool for memorization. If we ever want our pupils to learn, for example, a list of words, it would be easier if we use a song instead of repeating one time and another the same list of words (who will forget the famous “head, shoulders, knees and toes; knees and toes…”) 






To test out this affirmation, we invite you to listen to this song once or twice and check if you can remember it after a few minutes.





On the other hand, music can transmit some different emotions or conducts to the children. It is a good idea, if one day you go into your class and your pupils are altered or decentralized, to play instrumental music to calm them down.






Unfortunately, some forms of music can influence children in negative ways through their lyrics, so we must take care of this when we choose the songs that we want our students to listen to.


3.     Music is the language of the Universe. It can make you feel any emotion.
Through music, you can tell stories to anyone, even if they are on the other side of the planet and you both don’t speak the same language: music transcends all boundaries of communication. No one knows exactly why this happens, but in general people agree that emotions pertain to certain scales, chords and harmonies.

Music can whisk you away on an extended journey. Music can make time feel frozen. Music also has the power to suggest movement. All these things deal with the human senses.

We have created a video to prove if this is true, so we invite you to watch it and comment below the emotions and feelings that each melody has made you feel.

For us, the results were:
Song 1: calm
Song 2: anguish
Song 3: good vibes
Song 4: sadness
Song 5: fear
Song 6: hurry


18 comments:

  1. I feel very interested in the topic you've chosen and well, I think that everyone should as it is useful for us, who are going to be teachers in the future. I really liked the information you've posted and how you organised it. However I would add in the end some rethorical question which invite us to think about how music can help in teaching. Anyway, your job was great and really interesting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi girls,

    We are Nela Loureiro and Sara Ibárrez and we are very interested in the topic of this post. As you said, music can create a lot of different emotions and feelings in people. In fact, in our own experience we use music to get relax and calm.
    "Music can save our souls."
    Congratulations for your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in this post for different reasons. On the one hand, I agree with you, music is an interesting tool to encourage learning if we use it properly. Moreover, music is good for all ages, that is to say, we can use it in a pre-school lesson, in a primary lesson… even we ca use it to consolidate our own emotions. One the other hand, I really like the last video, it is a really stimulating exercise and I would like to share with you what I felt: joy, curiosity, positivity, insecurity, fear and annoyance. As you can see, I didn’t feel the same emotions as you so the same melody can provoke different feelings in each person and it is absorbing.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is very interesting. I think that through the music, teachers can encourage their pupils.
    Listening to music children can learn vocabulary and pronunciation. In this way they learn the foreign language in a fun way. It could wake up different feelings in children.
    Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this post very interesting. I agree with you in that music it’s a good tool to use in the school, because, as you said, we can use it with different purposes. Moreover, all pupils enjoy with music, so it’s a good way to make easy and fun the learning process.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very interested in your post because it's very interesting. I agree with you, music is a good thing for all ages and we can use it to feel diferent emotions. I enjoy the video because I could feel the different feelings in each melody.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you. As you say in this post, music offers a big variety of odds. As future teachers, we sholud to try to use this odds in our class, for example to teach them a lesson or to focus about one feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, this post is very interesting because are connect with the theme that I chose for my post. In my opinion music are very important, and it’s a great way to show the feelings with children, and it’s also a good think to help them to be more relax.
    Music is incredible, because it has the power to connect people but at the same time, you can feel something totally different than your partner. In my opinion it depends on your mood, but it’s true that one song can change your mood in a few seconds, that’s something amazing.
    I really like your post girls, thank you for share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with this post. Since I was a child I always liked listening to music and it would be very useful for our job to estimulate our pupils.

    GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI!!! This topic is really interesting. As you said, music is a good method to learn new vocabulary in a fun way. Also, music allows to improve listening skills.
    Everybody likes music! It is useful to learn english! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work!
    Music is essential in my life, I cannot live without music every day, and this is why I will transmit the love for the music that I feel to my future students!
    Music gives you everything that you want, you only have to search for it! Also, music is the best way to let your feelings and emotions flow and also, you can freely feel and being yourself.

    And this is wat I felt with your video: Nostalgia, power, energy, challenge, fear and stress.

    Really, I enjoyed with the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this post! Music is one of my favourite activities and I listen to it everytime I can! I use it in order to induce myself certain emotions. For example, when I'm angry, I use to reproduce a "playlist" (if you want to call it that way) in which I choose different songs depending on how the previous song made me feel, and, then, when I'm feeling better, without me realising, I'm jumping around the house singing and joking. Music has this ability to makes us feel whatever emotion from the human range the musician chooses to express, and then, magic occurs. Thank you for choosing this theme, it's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that this post is very interesting and usefull. As a teachers, all of us should use the music in our classrom. Music can help children to learn in a funny way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really amazing post! From my point of view it is really interesting to know how the music makes us feel different sensations and motivate us to feel a certain way. So, congratulations!! Good choice and good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your entry, Reyes and Paula – it was the most commented on of all the blog entries, so obviously you’ve made a good impression with your classmates, as well as with me:) I liked the fact that you looked at music from different perspectives and also that you included a little exercise for us to try out and comment on. My responses to the final exercise were as follows:

    1. Calm
    2. Impatience
    3. Curiosity
    4. Melancholy
    5. Hope
    6. Humour

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked this entry because I totally agree with you. Music offers infinite possibilities to teach in Kindergarten.There are thousands of songs on various topics that teachers can use in their lessons. Children learn unconsciously because they love singing and dancing, besides being educational is fun for them.

    In my case I can say that I am able to memorize dozens of songs and sometimes I can't remember basic information about any subject.

    I think music is a way of life. For every mood or feeling we have a song. It is basic to the physical and emotional development of children.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The text is easy to understand and I definitely agree with this post. Moreover, I think music plays a very important role in our lives.

    I would like to emphasize the first point, on how music promotes creativity, as I consider that creativity is something that we, future teachers, must always promote in our pupils. I cannot think of a better way to do it but through music. Something that everybody loves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.