My Erasmus in Helsinki
Last semester I had the best experience of my life. I went on an Erasmus exchange to Finland, Helsinki. I decided to go there because of the education system. I think that it was the best choice I could ever make because it is a country that had nothing to do with Spain. In other to this, it would be a new experience in all the possible ways.
Also, I think it was the perfect city for me. Because even though is a capital and it has every facility an everything you could wish, It is really small and essay to handle. Whatsmore, it is really secure, calm and it doest practically have any delinquency.Here you can see some pictures of the beautiful city of Helsinki:
![]() |
| Helsinki Cathedral, Clara A. Biosca |
![]() |
| Orthodox Helsinki Cathedral, Clara A. Biosca |
In this blog entry, I decided to talk about diferent points of my Erasmus.
FOOD
To star , I wanna talk a little bit about food and eating in Finland. At the beginning, it was a bit confusing to buy it because in many supermarkets the ingredients or the name were only in Finnish, Swedish and Deutsch. Lucky me, one of the cheapest supermarkets was Lidl and even though ingredients were only in those languages, we have Lidl in Spain so products were similar and also, I eat really basic stuff like fruit vegetables which were easy to buy.
The food was really expensive in Finland, well everything was, but as students, we had a lot of benefits and discounts. For example, we had cafeterias that called unicafes and you could eat plenty for only 2.60 and it was delicious.
The most typical foods in Finland were salmon soup, rice pie, reindeer and potatoes, also there was a very famous drink that was called gloogi that could have alcohol or not.
![]() |
| Rice pie |
![]() |
| Salmon soup |
TRAVEL
- Traveling in Helsinki, as I said before it is a small city so you can go everywhere walking or cycling in the summer. But for the rest of the year, it is really cold and everything is frozen so they have really good transport lines such as tram, bus or underground
- Travelling around finland
Suomelina is a small island that belongs to helsinki. It has a lot of history and we used to go there almoust every week, it was like our place.
Tampere, is a big city near helsinki and it was all snowed when we went.
![]() |
| Tampere Cathedral, Clara A. Biosca |
Lapland was a must in Finland I needed to visit santa claus village, it was amazing, we also went on a snow mobile and we enjoyed the beauty of the north pole.
- Some of my trips during the Erasmus
In Stockholm I was only a few hours but I felt in love with the city an with its underground stations.
In short, it was an incredible experience and I am very thankful for everything that Erasmus has given me. I have learned a lot, I made Incredibles friends that are like family and I miss it so much.
But all the good things come to an end to let space to new experiences!
SCHOOLS IN FINLAND
The other must of my Erasmus was to visit a Finnish school, it was amazing. I went to two different schools and both had in common the autonomy that they give to the students, also they had less ratio than Spain, the good use of technologies, and many things more, I learned a lot.
In short, it was an incredible experience and I am very thankful for everything that Erasmus has given me. I have learned a lot, I made Incredibles friends that are like family and I miss it so much.
But all the good things come to an end to let space to new experiences!













Erasmus is the best experience for those of us who have been able to live it.
ReplyDeleteHow brave you were choosing Finland, with the extreme cold that must be there! Although going to Lapland must be impressive.
I went to Poland, a little less cold, haha. But the cold is forgotten when you discover everything the country you are in offers you.
It must have been amazing to see how schools work there, and discover for yourself why Finnish education is the best.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of interesting things about Finland! Thank you for telling your experience and I hope you enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteFinland is great, isn’t it? I was there years ago and loved it! I enjoyed looking at your photos cos they reminded me what a beautiful place it is:) I liked the photos of the food too – salmon soup looks and sounds delicious!!!
ReplyDelete