Since I started this academy year I had the chance to try Mindfulness. I didn't know what mindfulness was, but I tried it in our english classes. At first, I was really bad at doing it, because I couldn't understand it. Teacher showed us the way to do it and it's meaning.
Mindfulness is a practice that lets you free your mind and listen to your body, it's good to chill, relax before sleep or correct a bad behaviour like addiction or fury.You have to sit in a straight posture, with your hands over your legs and focus on your breathing. Those are just the basic things and I didn't feel able to do them. Whenever I tried to focus in my breathing I started controlling it conscious despite the fact that I didn't want to do it. So I feel like suffocating, not much, but it gives pressure in my chest and that blurs my mind I believe. I kept trying it everytime we did this practice in the class. It is me, myself and I, everybody is in silent, nothing disturbs the atmosphere of the class, so the only posible problem has to be inside me. Some days were better than others. Sometimes it was easy to chill, other times was impossible. Then, I realized that the success of the practice depended on my mood, in that case, the practice was useless. If I'm having a good day why would I do Mindfulness, I'm already O.K.. In the other hand, if I'm in a bad mood, feeling anxiety, it will not work, so why would I waste my time trying it. I believed in it, I'm not blind I saw results in other people, but this is not for me. That's was my position for a time. Time doesn't wait anyone and as time goes by, I keep having good and bad days. I dealt with my problems as always, running away until I forget what brought me there. It's hard, news these days doesn't help much. But one day I was too nervous to sleep, I have had a lot of nights like that one so I know what I have to do, being distracted until I'm tired. I talked to a friend, and told her that I couldn't sleep. She sent me an audio that could help me, it was actually an audio to do Mindfulness. I had nothing to lose so I tried it but I was not convinced. It worked! I could sleep, I slept very well I have to admit. I couldn't have less faith in it but it worked. That made me think about me and the other people. When I felt lost something helped me, something that I didn't believe would work, this time was Mindfulness, but it can be anything. In this blog there is a lot of people talking about how cooking, dancing or drawing filled them with determination and helped them to pass hard times, maybe you are not even having a bad time, but you can try new things too. so this means there is a solution for everybody, don't lose your hope, keep trying new things, my situation may not be as hard as yours, but as long as you try you get closer to get better. I thought some of these practice were temporary solutions, I thought they would help you feel better in a certain moment but they didn't help in a long term. Doing Mindfulness just one time correctly didn't solve any of my problems, but it's a fact that proves my point. Now I believe that the fact that you are trying to use these techniques to feel better are the first step, you are sick of any situation and you want to change it. Believe or not, that's a huge step, so once you make it, don't give up and carry on.
I wanted to give my opinion about Mindfulness, because it's something that we all in this class have in common, we all tried it. And I had to write something encouraging at the end because I felt it was too dark and I don't want to look depressed because I am not JAJAJAJA.
B Y E
I started doing mindfulness three months ago when I returned to Ourense. It caught my attention and I signed up for a course taught by Stuart at the university. The first time I did mindfulness, everything seemed very strange to me and it was difficult for me to concentrate, but then it helped me and I found it very useful in different areas of our life, such as communication and the expression of our feelings.
ReplyDeleteIt is clear that not all of us function in the same way and that everyone has their own way of feeling better, whether it is singing, cooking or practicing mindfulness.
Thanks so much for the thoughtful and honest feedback about mindfulness. I agree with you, mindfulness is just one of many tools we can use to help ourselves, and each of us has our own preferences. But as you say, sometimes just deciding to take steps to change something is an important and necessary step – then things can begin to fall into place if we persevere!
ReplyDelete