Nowadays the entire world is in a
difficult epidemiological situation: in the whole world there have been a total
of 3.3. million infected by Covid-19 and 243,000 deaths. And to overcome this
situation on the fourteenth of May the government of Spain declared the state of alarm.
When the declaration of the state of alarm was anounced, I took a very important decision: I would stay
in Ourense and I would not go home with my family. And why did I take that decision?
For several reasons.
As a risk patient (due to a heart
disease) it was safer for me to stay in the city, because on the way from
Ourense to my house I have to take many means of transport (an intercity bus,
two city buses and a boat); due to the fact that my mother works in a centre
for disadvantaged people (like homeless people or drug addicts) and she is in contact
with a lot of people; and for being able to infect my family in case I were ill.
Luckily, here in the city I am with
my partner and together we have some ways to spend time. And, for
now, the fifty-one days we have been confined have flown by.
First, in order to have a
long-lasting entertainment, we decided to start watching a series. The series
we finally chose was Breaking Bad. The main character of this series is a
chemistry teacher who, knowing that he has lung cancer, decides to use his
knowledge of chemistry to leave money for his wife and two children. How? Cooking
cocaine. If you have not seen this series yet, I recommend it. Breaking Bad has
become my favourite series.
Another thing we are doing a lot in
this quarantine is cooking. I have always liked cooking and experimenting in
the kitchen, but in these circumstances I do it more. So, for example, we have
become great pizza makers: we make the pizza dough and personalize it with the
ingredients that we like the most. To them we almost always add different types of
cheese (gouda cheese and goat cheese), mushrooms, olives or bacon. Another of
the recipes that we have made are some homemade donuts. They were also
delicious!
During the quarantine (and the rest
of our lives) we can't be without music. Although now I can’t go to concerts
or festivals (one of my favourite hobbies) and although he can’t participate in
rap battles, the music is still present in our day to day: when we cook, when I
do some class work, when we wake up...
Finally, another thing we are doing
a lot is talking to our family and to our friends. Even if you are away from them now
you shouldn't lose contact with them. Being in contact is so important, and more on a important day like today, the Mother's Day.
Although you can't be in person with your mother and your relatives, you can be with them through the screen of the mobil phone or the computer. I know that it isn't the same, but at least you can share that special moment in some way. For example, today I
made a video call with my parents, my sister and my brother to see how my
mother opened her Mother's Day gift. These little details can bright your day.


I didn't know about those hard decisions you had to take, you are a brave person. Thank God you have been healthy these days.
ReplyDeleteI hope you become a better teacher than Walter White to be honest jajajaja. Cooking delicious food always makes me happy, if you cook something it tastes better because you put effort on it, right? jajaja. As you said in the last part, enjoy the time you can share with your family through the screens and take care.
Choosing where to spend the quarantine period is a complicated decision. I spent a month and a half in my second residence without seeing my family, but I don't regret having stayed there because in the countryside you feel much freer than in the city.
ReplyDeleteThe donuts you made had to be delicious! I think cooking and baking is always a good idea.
We are facing a hard and unknown situation, but looking for things that keep us entertained and spending time with our loved ones (even if it is through a screen) makes us take it much better, and I think that we value more what we have than ever.
Good work, Estela, and thanks for sharing. I also liked Breaking Bad, though on reflection I’m not sure “liked” is the word, given how such a lot of horrible stuff happens in the series – maybe it was more like a morbid fascination for me:)
ReplyDelete