I have chosen this topic because the last week I read an article about this in the newspaper and I found it interesting. I had listened something about it, but I have decide to look for some new information. I hope you enjoy the reading.
The result of a genetic study of the Trinity College of Dublin announced in 2010 showed that Irish people could have direct descendant of Galicians and Basques. The three races would share the Y chromosome. This theory coincides with the mythical legend of Breogan,a Celtic king whose descendants and whose army would have arrived in Ireland and would have conquered it, respectively, after the death of the first ones mentioned.
In fact, Celts, in the Iron Age, founded the culture, religion and homeland of Galicia that later would transfer to Ireland in the later emigration to the British Islands. As evidence of this, actually there are many coincidences in the culture of both nations: in mythology, there are heroic and mysterious legends, characters as gods and magical witches; in music, the bagpipe, the tambourine, the folk dance and music; in linguistics, each nation has an meaning of the word morriña, in Irish, cumha; in culinary terms, the copious meals; finally, the most acknowledged similarities: the rainy weather and the green landscapes.
Now, we have to pray for Galicia to approach our sister nation's high per capita so that the parallelism is completely happy.
 |
| Landscape of Irlanda |
 |
| Landscape of Galicia |
 |
| Typical Galician dance and music |
 |
| Typical Irish dance and music |
Thanks, Andrea, I’m sure you’re right that there are areas in which Irish and Galician culture and history coincide. Another similarity is that they are both peripheral with respect to major centres of power. So, do these similarities make you want to visit Ireland? And if you were to live in Ireland, what would you miss most about Galicia, do you think?
ReplyDeleteI like your blog. The information is very useful for me because I didn´t know anything about it.
ReplyDelete