Sunday, 8 May 2016

Music, the great communicator


My question is: Why not use music in English classes?




Nowdays all children listen to music frecuently, in their mobile phones, in the computer, in the radio, in the television... Everywhere. It is a great resource that is within our reach, it is too fun and easy work with songs in classroom. What are we waiting for?

There are many ways in which we can use music to help our English students. Just listening to music in platforms like Youtube while they are in their computers. It will probably help to improve their pronunciation, vocabulary and English listening skills. How?

Pronunciation: Singing along with their favourite English songs will help to learn how to pronounce English words correctly and will also help to improve their accent. They will learn more about the rhythm of sentences and how to link words together when they speak.

Vocabulary: Listening to music will help to learn more vocabulary quickly. They are also more likely to remember new words and English expressions if they listen to them in a song.

Grammar: You might think that grammar needs to be learnt in a very structured way but listening to music will help they to remember grammar and learn how to use grammar correctly in everyday conversation.

There are many websites with songs and exercises for English learners. One example is http://www.esolcourses.com/topics/learn-english-with-songs.html
On this website, there are many English songs with exercises and instructions.
 
In my opinion I think that it could be one of the best ways to motivate the children to learn English using one of their favourite hobbies. I´m sure that they will learn a lot.

Enjoy the post and thanks you for read it.

Sergio Martínez González



8 comments:

  1. i think that its an interesting post! The music is a good way to teach the children anything. we can practise vocabulary or pronuntation with music and is an easy and funny method. i considerer that the teachers have to use music exercises more often.

    ReplyDelete

  2. As I see it, music is not just a way of enjoying, it´s also a way of communication. Once I heard that music is a universal language that can bind us together, and I totally agree with that. That´s why it could be a fantastic tool to understand others and learn languages (vocabulary, colloquial expressions, how to pronounce...) and all of this through our senses. Is there a better way of learning? Who knows, but I bet this is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. The best time to learn a new language is in preschool education. Listening to music or playing games are the best methods for teaching a language to little kids because they learn while they are playing and having fun. As you said, it is a good way in order to learn new vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, music is essential at school. It is one of the best ways to learning languages. Moreover, the music helps to develop other aspects very important in education like communication, expression or the physical ability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, music is essential at school. It is one of the best ways to learning languages. Moreover, the music helps to develop other aspects very important in education like communication, expression or the physical ability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think music is one of the best things in life due to its capacity to calm people down when we are nervous, make us happy when we are depressed, and enjoy even more when you are already having fun. I believe in the power of music and I´m convinced about how useful it is while working with children, for both teachers and kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completly agree, with that post! Because sometimes you lear better using that way, in special to improve the pronunciation, the comprehension and it's important for children and for adults too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with my parents because I think that its an interesting issue. Moreover, It's a good idea to use music to improve the pronuntiation in a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.