Friday, 21 May 2021

A day not so bad


Hello everybody!! My name is Fabio and I do triathlon. Today I will tell you what happened to me on Vao beach in Vigo when I was 16 years old. I participated in the Aquathlon which is a sport in which two disciplines are combined running and swimming, as it was bad weather and it started to rain it was decided to change the original order of the competition (running-swimming running) And it would be putting together the two distances of running and doing them at the end after swimming.

The first thing was to meet Gomez Noya, then all my colleagues competed each in his category. I was the last of my Club to compete, because I was the senior (cadet). I prepared to compete and left my things to run on the transition site; it is very important to be agile and to have everything ready in a transition.

Just at that moment it started raining and we arrived at the shore to enter the sea. When I entered the sea that was about 13 degrees, I realized that I was freezing, I had given hypothermia, I tried to swim, but I was not advanced and I was breathing very badly, I still had 500 meters ahead and the race on foot that was 4 km. I was about to leave, but I set out to finish it, swimming slowly and then running, when I swam I realized my body was frozen, but I was not breathing so forced.

 I finished swimming, I put on my shoes and I ran the 4 km, I finished running and at the finish line was Gomez Noya prepared to put the medal; I know that they gave it to all the participants..., but only a few can say that he gave us a medal, a five-time world champion.


2 comments:

  1. Oooooh! I was wonder about who is Gomez Noya (before finish the reading about your post) and I´ve just searched him in Google and, what a surprise! He is a very, very good athlete, the five times winner of the world championship of triathlon. And you met this legend in person? Amazing!
    Aboout your experience that day with swimming, I thought a temperature near to 15º degrees was fine, because that is the global average temperature, but it seems that the water can be feeled like freeze, ufff, sounds unconfortable as f"$*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fabio, I like the spirit of resilience you transmit in this! 

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.