Hi! Like you, I want to learn
English, and all of us know that there are so many different ways to learn it!
For example, the secondary school classes of English where we only learn
grammar and where we couldn't speak most of the time, are very different to the
classes of our degree, which are more interactive and motivating. Don`t you
think? So now, I am going to talk to you about a ludic way to learn English.
A few years ago, if you wanted to
improve your pronunciation or your listening, the best way to do it was meeting
with an English native or going to any English speaking country. Both of them
are fantastic ideas, but maybe you don’t have enough money or time. Now, there are
many options! As you know, nowadays all of us have access to Internet so we can
watch TV series, films and listen music in English.
Instead of wasting your time
watching TV series in Spanish, invest your time watching them in English. At
the beginning, it can be a bit difficult, so I recommend you to watch again a
film that you have already seen in Spanish. In my case, I have done this with
my favourite TV series: Utopia, but you can choose your preferences. It is not
recommendable to watch it with Spanish subtitles because although we don’t
want, our eyes will be reading the text. Therefore, if you choose to watch it
with subtitles take care of being in English!
Try to watch films or TV series from
different places and pay attention to the different ways of talking. For
example, the TV series that I had talked about, Utopia is from England so it
has Britain accent, like Sherlock or Black Mirror, but if you watch Sons of
Anarchy, you will notice that the accent is not the same because it’s American.
Orphan Black is from Canada and 13 reasons why is from Australia.

Now, think about how many songs you
have listened in English. Have you ever payed attention to their lyrics? Do it! Look for the lyrics on the Internet,
and besides of enjoying the music you will understand better the song and
improve your English. It can be a bit boring but there are alternatives, for
example in the page https://es.lyricstraining.com/ you can complete the lyrics of the
songs while they are playing. Try it, it’s very funny!
If you introduce English in your day to day
pleasure activities, you will notice that you will learn
without realising it!





I found your post very interesting because it was recently when I decided to watch films and series in English and I agree that the best way to learn is with things that you like (I watched my favourite film again but this time in English). Now I will try to recognize accents and watch a serie that you had mentioned. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI saw you post interesting and I agree with you. I want to improve my English and I think you are right.
ReplyDeleteNowadays, we all have Internet at our disposal, so we can watch a lot of films or series. There are even more movies in English than in Spanish.
In addition, we can read books in English to improve it. Listening to music is also a good option, I try to understand them and learn new vocabulary.
There are also many websites to learn English or applications that can help you. Furthermore, games are also a good idea.
I believe that learning a new language is more easy today.
By the way, some of the series that you put there I saw them and I liked them.
Hello!!! I totally agree with you!! 3 years ago a friend told me to watch TV series in English, and at first I was worrried I couldn't understand anything even with subtitles, but I started to watch "Friends" and it was so easy to follow the conversations, that nowadays I keep watching TV shows in English. Recently I started to watch "The Office" without subtitles, and I have to tell you taht is really easy to undertand it, so if you are looking for a show to seet without subtitles, I recomend you this show!
ReplyDeleteHi Pili! You mention some series that I love. Now, I am considering watch them again but in English... I think it's a great idea to watch them in the language that you want to learn. Thanks for sharing this with us, the next tv series that I'm going to watch it's going to be in the original version!
ReplyDelete