Saturday, 24 March 2018

The year that changed my life

Hello everyone!
Today I am going to tell you about my experience studying in the United States of America.



When I was 16 I left for another country to live and study there for a year. I was really scared because I was leaving by myself and leaving everything behind. Little did I knew how much it would make me grow up.

When I first got there, it was really hard to understand what people were telling me, not only because of the English but because there were so many new things happening all at the same time.

High School in the USA is really different from what we experience in Spain. To begin with, you have more liberty to choose your path to your future. Also, there are some classes that we can’t take in Spain, like Drama class. They give a lot of importance to music too, I had Band as a class. At the begging I was scared of not being able to understand the class or keep up the work, but teachers were really nice and helpful.

What I’m most proud about is my improvement, we had a journal for English class and when the classes had finished I started to look back, while I was doing it, I realized how much better I had got at writing in English, not only my speaking had improved. Seen how many corrections I had at the beginning and how in my final projects I had none made me really proud. That is why I think immersion is the best way of learning a language.

The changes didn’t only happen on the educational field, looking back at it, I was only 16 when I left, however, I came back as a more mature person. It helped me become a more independent person and I learned a lot of things and not just a language (which is also important of course).

I had a lot of fun too! As I was in Maine I saw a lot of snow, I played soccer at the school team, I was in pep band (is the band that plays at basketball games), I went to prom, I went to the Arcadia National Park and many other things.

I think these kinds of experiences are the best thing that can happen to you, if somebody around you, or even yourself, is doubting about whether to do it or not my advice is :
DO IT!


Flag of the state of Maine
________________________________
I hope you liked the post. Feel free to leave any comments!

3 comments:

  1. It amaze me that there are some decisions that change our lifes and sometimes we don´t take the first step because of fears, insecurities, doubts etc. Sometimes we miss the opportunities that change our lives and yes, i agree with you, an inmersion experience in a foreing country is a great idea. All the new experiences, new people, new personal growth etc pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same thing that I always say, life its out there but if we are all the time too afraid to catch it, because of what may happen, we will never live.

      Delete
  2. I love this post. First of all I have to tell you that you are a brave person, although I suppose you know it. Appart from that, you have explained properly the differences between our schools and USA schools and I have to admit that before reading this post I thought that they could be quite similar but now I realize they don´t.
    All of us can understand that you had a great time there, but I would like to ask you one question:

    -Could you live there for the rest of your life?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.