Thursday, 20 April 2017


Riddles in the classroom

Creating riddles with or without rhymes can be fun, No matter the age of the students or the topics you are teaching. Encourage your childrens to play with words, to try a rhyme, to hide words in the verses.

 Around the corner there is a tree.
Under the tree there is a school.
In the school there is a desk.
On the desk there is a bell.
Behind the desk there is a teacher.
What is her name?
(Schwartz, 1987)

Create a puzzle with the foreign lenguage, or maybe a picture! Improve their pronunciation, their vocabulary or their grammar. Or simply break with the monotony of a lesson introducing riddles like:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king’s horses and all the king’s men
Couldn’t put Humpty together again.

I can’t convince you about the advantages of using riddles in your classes?
I give you a citation from: Buchoff, Rita in The Reading Teacher, 1996

"Riddel books are not only pleasurable. They assist in developing cognitive skills.
Through riddles, children gather and interpret data, make inferences, and
Draw conclusions. When provided with the riddle’s solution,
they interpret this new information, construct meanings to clarify and extend knowledge…”

And it is a very cretiv exercise. So I drew my first riddle too.
Enjoy it!

She cames late in the afternoon
before the sun goes down and arrives the moon

I will tell you soon

She has four legs and likes the darkness
She doesn't like snakes and neither eggs
Fresh-fish is her favourite dish
codfish, crawfis, blowfish
doctor fish, sellfish, sawfish

She loves meat too
She searchs it in the earth
but in the air too

You will gess it soon

Monday
            in
              all
                 you


3 comments:

  1. Interesting, Elvira – I’m still scratching my head trying to solve your riddle☺ I like the idea of using riddles in class – do you think it makes a difference whether we use them in the children’s mother tongue or in a foreign language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Elvira – I’m still scratching my head trying to solve your riddle☺ I like the idea of using riddles in class – do you think it makes a difference whether we use them in the children’s mother tongue or in a foreign language?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post, Elvira. I've always loved this kind of teaching. Children can develop their creative and language skills through a funny way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.