Saturday, 25 March 2017

Learning with songs

Music can be a good way to learn English. It is not only useful for non English speakers but is also useful for young English speakers.
The music is a repetitive way of teaching so it makes the teaching-learning process easier, It also causes students to be more motivated to learn.
Through the music you can learn a lot of vocabulary, but also you can learn grammar and pronunciation.


Juan Carrión was an English teacher in Spain that invented the Lennon Method.
 When he was teaching, in the 60s, there weren't methods to teach new languages, so he used to listen to the radio and transcribe the Beathles songs. So, as always there were some words and expressions that he couldn't undestand, when he discover that John Lennon was in Spain he decided to visit him. At this meeting he asked Lennon two things: the first one was to check his tanscripts, and the second one was to add the letters of the songs in the disks. Lennon was so excited with that idea, so he promised that he will include the lyrics in their new album; and he kept his promise.



10 comments:

  1. Learning by songs could be very funny for our pupils! Also, I have wrote in my blog entry about learning English using YouTube. Maybe we can combine both options; because YouTube is a good place for learning with music (we can use the lyrics of the songs).
    Regards.
    Xiana Barros Giráldez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I totally agree with you, and I think this way the students can learn in a funny way. By introducing new methods like this, we make education more attractive and dynamic for the students.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you! I think that songs should be one of the pillars of learning.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post very much. I think songs are one of the most usefull ways to learn English. Also it´s very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was great, Rocio – I’m a Beatles fan myself and I hadn’t heard the story about Juan Carrión! And of course I agree with you that songs can help with learning English, both inside and outside the classroom, as the teacher in the video suggests. How have songs influenced your own learning of English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am also a gig Beatles' fan. The music have helped me too much to learn English, my English teacher in primary school used to use the Beatles' song to teach English, so that's how I learned English.

      Delete
  8. I think the same as my classmates! Music is a good way to learn vocabulary as well as fun way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. Songs can be a great method to learn English.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.