Wednesday, 13 April 2016

CORNERS IN CLASSROOM

What are corners?  
Corners are spaces located in different areas of the classroom. In these spaces, children can work independently, in pairs or in small groups. Every corner works different topics with specific resources. For example, music and movement corner, art corner, math corner, technology learning corner, etc. Activities that are done in these corners can be free or directed by the teacher. The work by corners allows to eliminate differences and to focus on the interests and learning rhythms of every child.


Learning corners allow children:
  1. To explore and discover things that are new to them and make connections with things that they already know.
  2. To relax because when children play they don't worry about expectations and their tension is reduced. There is no pressure because the focus is on process, not in the final product.
  3. To express and to be themselves.
  4. To develop communication skills and build working relationships with their partners. It also allows them to see things from other points of view.
  5. To be more independent because they direct their own learning.
  6. To role to play in order to understand the real world and their personal experiences.

In summary, learning corners allow children to develop appropriately. Through corners, children are encouraged to play and explore their environment by themselves.

Some of the most common corners are:
  • Math corner: In this corner children can learn about numbers, colours, shapes, quantities, etc. We can work this with the following materials: building blocks, dices, scales, number cards, abacuses, puzzles, a lot of objects with different shapes, colours, sizes, etc. Some activities can be: dice games, count objects, classify objects by  shape, size, colour, craft games…


                     

  • Art corner: In this corner, children do artistic activities to develop their creativity with different materials like: watercolors, canvas, paintbrushes, plasticine, oil paintings, scissors, glue, marker pens, thin cardboards, papers, chalks, blackboards, … Some activities can be: drawings, collages, figures, paintings, crafts, etc.


  

  • Music and movement corner: In this corner, children can work with different instruments, sing, listen to music, dance, experiment with sounds and do tapping in different body parts. Some materials can be: headphones, CD player, microphones, songs CD, flutes, maracas, xylophones, toy guitars, piano, drums, bells, triangles, tambourines, accordions, cymbals, trumpets, rain sticks, etc.

                              
 


  • Literacy corner: this corner should encourage children to sit down in chairs, sofas, carpets, pillows and listen to the teacher reading books, comics or magazines (on paper or tablets) about different topics. They can also practise writing stories, poems, their names, holiday experiences, songs…  

                               

  • Technology learning corner: In this corner, children can develop their technology skills by playing educational games about different topics, listening to songs, watching videos or films, etc. In this corner, we can find: tables, chairs, computers or laptops, tablets, headphones, printers, interactive whiteboards, cameras, loudspeakers, keyboards and mouses.

                


  • English corner: One of the many resources to learn English is this corner. In this area, children can expand their vocabulary (numbers, letters, greetings, days of the week, animals…) and improve both communication skills and oral expression in a fun and interactive way. You can see this in the following video.

          

Although there are a lot of schools which don’t have necessary resources or teachers which try to avoid this methodology, we think it is very useful in the children’s education because Remember! one of the best way to learn is by doing. Teaching through corners will allow us to help children pay more attention and they be more interested in learning.

11 comments:

  1. I really love this post! I think that corners are very important, especially in preschool education .
    For children is important to experiment with materials ,to recreate roles, to recreate real situations through the game.
    In addition, corners in the classroom help to work with peers.
    I totally agree with you, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is interesting! I completely agree with Tania, corners are important in preschool education. They learn playing, as every kid should do. And it's also a different way to organise the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my point of view, this is a great alternative to run a class. This interesting way of organization encourages learners to be creative and curious. What is more, it is really easy to deal with this kind of organization.

    I guess future classrooms will be like the ones that you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this idea is fantastic because one of the big problems of the education in our country has been always the lack of autonomy of the pupils.

    Moreover, often the classes are too theoretical and the pupils only copy what the teacher says.

    Teachers can guide students and give them the necessary tools for learning, but pupils must be able to think for themselves and to develop skills.

    Thus the pupils will be able to form part of their own learning and this one will be a self-study.

    Definitively, this project is very interesting because the pupils can promote his creativity, increase his imagination and be more autonomous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my point view as a teacher I think corners in classroom are very interesting. I think that children can improve a lot with it. If children have different corners in their class they can learn a lot about themselves because they can work alone or also they can work with other classmate. This is so important because every day the can learn from different views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, this proposal is an amazing way to organize the classes.
    I like this idea because if our classes are organized in corners, children can be more independent and learn for themselves and the teacher is only a guide, a person who solves the conflicts or problems when they appear, but he/she is not present all the time in front of the pupils telling them what they have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is very interesting! I agree with your information, especially in preschool education. Corners in classroom are wonderful resources. Children can explore, discover new things, be more independent and improve their relationships without any pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post. You are right, classes should have spaces dedicated to different subjects where the child can go to them freely.
    In the future, I would like to have a class with these corners. In this way, they could acquire a significant learning while having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my opinion is a good idea to have different spaces in the class with specific materials such as books, painting materials, musical instruments… As others classmates said it is very useful, particularly in preschool but we can use it in primary education too. For example we can work with small groups when there are not enough computers in class, we can also have a corner library or a corner with different object, pictures, elements... depending on the activity or unit that we are teaching. I really like this idea and your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very interesting concept. I had no idea that there were so many "corner uses"! What I particularly like about this teaching approach is that it allows children to take control over their own learning process.
    I wish I'd had a "music corner" or a "technology learning corner" in my classroom when I was in preschool... Unfortunately, the only corners I visited back then were those where I was put if I misbehaved.
    If I become teacher, I will take this methodology into consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cris and Elena, interesting post – I agree that learning corners (or centres) are a great approach, especially in preschool, where I have seen them employed to great effect. I like the video you included too. One point – it’s also a good idea to mention, reference and link to webpages with information about the subject, especially ones that you have drawn information and/or ideas from!
    http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/classroom_solutions/2010/09/learning-centers-part-1-why-theyre-important

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.