Sunday, 24 April 2016

Learning English with Adventure Games


Video games can be an excellent source for learning English. Being in front of a console or a computer and playing video games can be a good interaction with English. The stories, the tutorials, the dialogues, the texts… everything can give you the chance of looking at the words, phrases and sentences as they were applied in a real context.

In some cases, it involves more than listening and repeating words. It requires using the language to keep playing because the instructions or hints are included in either phrase the character say or the text you find along the way. Besides, what the characters say is part of the story, so it’s like reading a book in which the action is being described.

There are as many interesting stories and challenges in video games as there are novels and topics in books. Elements like questions, expressions and, of course, a lot of vocabulary are some examples of how games show and apply grammar rules that students learn in school. This means that it doesn't matter what your preferences are, you will always find something for you.

Incidental learning
Playing video games doesn’t have to be a waste of time. Actually, game players can learn a lot through the engagement and immersion provided by the game. This is known as incidental learning: unintentional, unplanned -but not unconscious- learning which results from other activities. This happens through repetition, observation, social interaction and problem solving.

Video games lead players through a series of levels and situations. These changing situations challenge the players to solve the different problems they face. In order to do that, games have to provide the information and tools required to solve these problems. Thus, the need for understanding this information becomes crucial to keep playing and progressing. In this regard, the combination of verbal and visual information in a game can create a much better environment for learning.

The fact that video games involve incidental learning -as opposed to intentional learning- and the playful spirit of the different tasks the players have to perform prove that this form of entertainment can be also an excellent resource to second-language acquisition.

As you can see in this video, a cutting-edge Chinese school is currently using online video games for teaching English.


Adventure Games for learning English
An adventure game is a video game in which you play as the protagonist of an interactive story. The main feature of these games is they emphasize on the story; this allows them to be based on other narrative media, books or films. So, the essential elements of this kind of games are: exploration, storytelling and puzzle solving.

Pointing and clicking are the two actions that a computer user can do with the mouse: moving the pointer to different locations of the screen and pressing a mouse button, usually the left one. This is a method used in adventure games: pointing the mouse over different objects and pressing the button to complete actions or to move the character. In spite of these simple control actions, you have to choose among a finite number of possibilities.

In most games, the possible actions you can do appear, as infinitives, in a lower menu. So, the more you play, the more you get used to the meaning of those verbs. In addition, the semantic connection between those verbs and the items of the gaming environment can be learned through trial and error. For instance, I can’t select “close” while I’m pointing another character, so I must use it with doors and other elements which can be opened/closed.

Adventure games players are required to connect the meaning of some written words with the pictures of the elements displayed on the screen. This connection means knowing not only the name of the objects, but also actions associated with them. Thus, players can improve and expand their vocabulary. Moreover, learning new navigation controls during the gameplay can enhance memory training and, as a result, it can increase the vocabulary absorption capacity.


These games are also known for representing the dialogue as a conversation tree. This means that players have to choose among different sentences when they interact with a non-player character. One specific choice triggers one specific response from the game character and it also determines subsequent choices until the conversation ends.

Conversations can reveal clues about how to solve immediate problems or puzzles and they can even have far-reaching consequences. Game characters may also be convinced to reveal their own secrets, either through conversation or negotiation -by giving them something that they want.



Since the meaning of the given sentences in a dialog tree is, of course, directly related to what the player has done or what the player is about to do, understanding the intentionality of each message is very important. In terms of communication, players have to be aware of the communicative problem in each case and they also have to employ a strategy to solve it. Communicative competence involves not only the knowledge of the language (grammar competence) but also the knowledge of how to use the language and express a message in a variety of circumstances (pragmatic and strategic competence). Thus, success in these games depends very much on the knowledge of the connotative meaning of the different options in a conversation tree.

In conclusion, adventure games can be a very useful -and also motivating- tool for ESL learning because of the:

  • Semantic connection between written words and the pictures of the objects and elements displayed on the screen.
  • Pragmatic competence required to choose the best branch of dialogue in each case in order to accomplish the goals of the game.

And now...

Take a look at the short video that we specially made for the occasion:


17 comments:

  1. Guys! I love your video! Hahaha
    I agree with your post, personally I learnt some English with videogames (as you say on your video) words like "Start", "Stop", "Pause" and "Next".
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, I think that it is a very interesting post.
    I think that children learn English of an entertaining way, therefore, they will like to learn this way and they will learn faster
    I really like your video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s a very interesting post. I totally agree with your information.
    Video games are a good resource to learn English.
    I enjoyed watching your video a lot! It´s a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

  5. I totally agree with you! Video games are a great learning tool and motivation for children. But, as you say in the video, many people think that video games are a waste of time. These people only see negative things about video games when they really have many advantages. For this, I think that they aren't used much as they should be used.
    I love the video! It has made me want to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noemi, Tania María, Mónica, Cris:
    We appreciate your comments and the fact that you bothered watching our homemade video.
    We both think that learning while having fun is by far one of the most effective ways to learn! So... Go and play video games! You won't regret it.
    Once again, thank you all for your nice words and your support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From my point of view as a teacher I think that learning by games is a good idea.
    In spite of this point, I think that games can be dangerous too. We need to know which is the correct use and which is the argument to use these games.
    Children have to know that games are good way to learn but they must know that games aren’t the only way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I am not very keen on video games, I totally agree with you. Nowadays, children spend many hours playing computer games. So, they'd better play in English in order to learn useful vocabulary and not waste their time. For instance, if they take part in an online game with a native speaker, some useful expressions may rub off on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla:

    I'm sorry to say this, but I couldn't disagree more with you. I'm tired of hearing this misconception over and over again. Why are video games dangerous? This dismissive attitude against video games usually comes from people who don't like nor understand video games at all.

    Are you referring to video game addiction? In this regard, you should know that it's still discussed how much this disorder is caused by the gaming activity itself or whether it is to some extent an effect of other compulsive disorders.

    Are there violent or sexually explicit games for sale? Yes, there are. And they are AO-rated games (only for adults). According to that line of thought, reading books would be dangerous too -since there are also violent and sexually explicit books-. Content rating systems were made for a reason: to warn parents about the suitability and content of a game. Thus, parents should read these warnings more often.

    Moreover, if you read carefully our blog entry, you'll find that we mainly focus on "point and click" adventure games. This specific genre involves a lot of puzzle solving and it rarely -if ever- includes violence.

    Finally, nobody said that games are the only way to learn! We are only suggesting that the learning possibilities of this form of entertainment should be taken more into consideration.

    Anyway, thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cristian.
      I think it was confusion. I didn´t want to say games are not good. I enjoy with them. In spite of that, when I was younger I enjoyed learning with books, games, working with other people too. I wanted to comment that games are incredible but also I love learning playing with my friends or just talking with them. I don’t have problems with games. I think your topic is really good and sorry if I didn’t use correct words.

      Delete
  11. Great job, guys! I really loved the article and the video, and I agree with your, especially what you said about incidental learning.

    I know by personal experience that videogames can be a good way to learn a new language. Most of the games I've played on the past years were in English and they helped me learn a lot of new vocabulary. Sadly, none of them were adventure games. I think all the adventure games I've played were in Spanish. I should try to get an English version of The Secret of Monkey Island one of these days, to see all the original dialogue.

    By the way, the game you show from 2:14 to 2:35 happens to be one of my favourite old-school arcade games. So, thank you for choosing that one for the video, it really made me happy. Good job, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi guys!

    First of all, I want to congratulate you for the video. It is amazing and very well constructed! I really love it!

    Second of all, I have to say that I completely agree with you. Nowadays, more and more games include a language selection menu, so as future teachers it would be good if we found a way to incorporate them to the students' learning experiences. Actually video games have helped me a lot with my English, not only with my listening and reading skills, but also with my vocabulary.

    Last but not least, I think that there is this idea of video games promoting violence, drugs and inappropriate content in general that is far far away from the reality. Of course there are games that involve those things, but there is a rating system for that, so the parents won't allow kids to play with those games. The point I'm trying to make is that video games in general are usually considered dangerous or that they promote violence but this doesn't happen with films or TV series, for example. We know what shows or films are not appropriate for kids and we try to make sure they don't watch them. Why is it different with video games and we, as a society, "stigmatize" them?

    Good job guys! I loved the article! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla:
    I'm very sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to lecture you or be judgemental. So, please, don't get me wrong: I really appreciate your comments, even if we don't agree. Thank you!

    Andrés, Chema:
    Thank you all for your nice words and support!
    I'm glad you learnt a lot of vocabulary and also improved your listening and reading skills by playing video games.

    Andrés:
    Yes, I think you should try the original version of "The Secret of Monkey Island". It contains a lot of hilarious quotes (“There’s nothing like the hot winds of Hell blowing in your face”) and dialogues like:
    A: "I'm on a whole new adventure."
    B: "Growing a moustache?"
    A: "No. Bigger than that!"
    B: "A beard?"

    Chema:
    Undoubtedly, I think that people -especially parents- should be aware of these content rating systems. The content descriptors of the PEGI system (Pan European Game Information) and their explanations are very clear. Moreover, a parental advisory logo is the first thing you see in a video game trailer or TV commercial. Thus, parents have no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally I have to recognize that I am not very keen on video games but I am aware that children can learn much more English when they've used it. In fact, my nephew and a cousin are mad about video games and they’ve improved their English skills using them. Therefore, as a teacher, I would like to use this enjoyable tool in order to improve reading, listening, learning vocabulary... above everything if I know that any of my students enjoy with them. Regarding the post, in general is simply brilliant, especially the video, which is very well done. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Pablo and Christian, and your friendly avatars☺ Seriously now, you have obviously put a lot of work and thought into this, so thanks. I liked the video about the use of video games in China, but especially the one you made yourselves – I even recognized some of the games (Jaz and Dexter, Uncharted...) from back in the day, when I had time to play games! Anyway, that’s an excellent piece of work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your post! I think children learn better playing and doing what they like. Your video is really funny. I also need to say that I enjoy a lot playing videos games overall Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.