In this post we are going to talk about a conference in Barcelona that explains the use of smartphones in the classroom.
The Mobile World Congress published the document “Les tecnologies mòbils als centres educatius” that includes various considerations and elements of reflection on the presence and use of digital technologies at school in general and, in particular, the use of smartphones, the development of digital skills by the students and the potential of mobile technology to innovate educational practices. The paper concludes by offering a number of recommendations to guide educational policies regarding the incorporation of mobile devices in the centers and a set of examples of projects that illustrate the educational potential of these devices.
Regarding the potential of mobile devices to innovate teaching and learning, it is stated that:
-They allow for searching simulations or calculations, capture information and data, write quick notes, consult dictionaries or listen to music records, create and schedule applications, control devices and perform operations;
-They may be useful for personalizing learning processes because they offer great possibilities to adapt to individual needs (eg, present information in different formats and/or with different levels of complexity);
-They can simplify the feedback and evaluation because they provide immediate progress indicators (eg, the possibility of seeking answers at the same moment as students on a particular content or apps that guide solving mathematical problems step by step);
-They can support students with special educational needs (eg: apps that read written texts).
Fully agreeing with the potential identified to innovate educational practices, from our perspective mobile devices can offer greater value than any other technology when used to extend learning to other non-typical school settings and when used as a tool for personal learning.
In the first case, there are good examples of the use of mobile devices to extend the learning process beyond the classroom to other areas (natural, urban, cultural, social) where relevant educational practices for students are developed; for example, creating itineraries for tourism, cultural or economic development of a near environment, or measuring the degree of humidity, temperature and hours of sunlight to regulate the risks of a small orchard.
In the second case, the aim is to exploit the potential of mobile devices to build links and bridges between the learning that students gain in different contexts or environments in which they operate. Indeed, students go through different contexts that offer them opportunities and resources for learning (family, school, work, community, peer groups, etc.) and all of them usually use their mobile device. These devices allow them to carry the services and tools they use to learn and thereby make it easier to connect, relate and integrate the learning done in these various contexts.
I think that this is a very interesting topic because there are many discussions on this point in the education system. On the one hand, there are teachers who think that mobile devices are an educational tool and on the other hand, there are teachers who think that it is a problem.Today teachers should use mobile devices in the classroom because children are more motivated in class using it, although teachers should control the use of the mobile devices in classroom.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you that mobile devices can offer greater value than any other technology.
Hello!
ReplyDeleteNowadays technology is part of our lives.
In the case of the mobiles, I think that it´s an important tool in order to learn a second language, because when kids don´t know the meaning of a word, they can search it in their mobilephones, and it´s more interesting to find the word that ask their teacher, because they will learn more. Furthermore, they can use it with other purposes, for example, konw how to pronunce a word or search information of a topic.
It´s a wonderful tool, but teacher´s supervision is required.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting discussion topic nowadays. I agree with your opinion: mobiles are a very important tool wich can be used in the classroom.
The important point is the kind of use we make, because the problem (in my opinion) isn't the use of mobile phones but how we use it.
I am not sure if I am agree about using mobile phones in class.
ReplyDeleteOf course, this tool has a lot of advantages because students can find different kind of information very quickly. But I think that students get distracted easily and pay less attention to the lessons.
As Luján said teacher´s supervision is required but I think that it is very difficult to supervise what each student is doing with the phone.
I really like your post because it is a very controversial topic in our society.
ReplyDeleteThe use of mobile phones in a class has its advantages and disadvantages. It is true that this tool can serve as a resource to acquire knowledge but, at the same time, mobile phones can also serve to distract us, so ... what should we do in the future? I don't know because in the future, I want that my children pay attention to me when I am talking about something important and I am totally sure that if they have a mobile, they won't do it because they will be using facebook, whatsapp, etc.
Therefore, I prefer that they don't use mobiles when I am explaining something, unless I tell them.
i think that is an interesting topic because nowadays there are a lot of differents opinions. The mobile phones are very useful but i dont very sure that their use are correct in a class. the most important is the use that we give.
ReplyDeleteFron my point of view, use mobile phone, computers or tablets in the classroom can be a good learning tool, but only if used properly. Teachers must be pay attention and teach a good behaviour between the good uses of the tecnology.
ReplyDeleteThis is, without doubts, a topical issue at the moment and this is also a particularly important matter to raise with students and parents.
ReplyDeleteMost teachers say that mobile phones disruptive classes and that they are an important reason why pupils sometimes don´t pay attention. Nevertheless, there are some teachers who say that mobile phones are a good tool to use to learn at school, provided they are properly used.
Like it or not, the teachers of this generation must face to this reality. I wonder if too much technology is not good. I think “virtue is the happy medium between two extremes”.