Monday, 21 March 2016

The flipped classroom

It's 10 am. At school twenty five students are ready to take notes in silence. Some of them seem interested, some look already bored. 

This is a familiar situation that all of us may have experienced. The traditional teaching classroom: the teacher, in front of the classroom, explains or dictates the lessons and then the students have to do their homework at home. What can we do to change that? Obviously, find new teaching methods and the flipped classroom is one of those methods.




Let’s start with an explanation about what the flipped classroom is: The flipped classroom it’s a method that inverts traditional teaching method changing the role of the teacher and the students. As I mentioned before, traditional teaching lies in teaching the lessons and then, at home, do the homework. With the flipped classroom, students will have to watch the lessons online (mostly videos, although we can find other resources like powerpoints, prezis, etc.) at home and during classtime they will engage the concepts with all kind of activities and the help of the teacher. 
The following video would help you to understand it better. 




As you could see on the video, with the traditional approach, not every student understands what the teacher is explaining, which is a problem when they're going to do their homework or study for an exam, With the flipped classroom the students can watch the lesson as many times as they need, they can pause, rewind... 




Let’s have a look to some of the pros and cons of this pace of learning: 

Pros: 
- This method motivates the students. 
- Pupils can watch again the explanations as many times as they want. 
- New organization of the classtime. 
- Students get more individualized attention. 
- The originality of the contents. 
- The use of TICs. 
- Students become more responsible. 
- Parents are involved in the learning process of their kids. 
- Self-learning. 
- Improved outcomes. 
- It respects the learning rhythms of each student. 

Cons: 
- Students don’t see the videos. 
- Lack of implication from students. 
- Create the videos. 
- Don’t have the knowledge to make the videos. 
- Students spend more time in front of a computer or electronic device. 
- Having connection problems with the network. 
- Other teachers don’t like the fact that you innovates. 
- Parents don’t want to participate.



Personally, I think that is a method that fits nowadays because students are immerse on technologies, so we have to take advantage of that and use it on their education.

I hope you find this post interesting and don't hesitate to leave a comment with your opinion! Thank you! 


Links: 
http://www.theflippedclassroom.es/
https://www.knewton.com/resources/blog/education-infographics/flipped-classroom-infographic/

13 comments:

  1. I think that education is changing due to the apparition of the new technologies. I really like “the flipped classroom” method to use in class because in XXI century ITC are surrounding students.

    Nowadays students get bored and distracted easily that´s why teachers have to change traditional methods and motivate their pupils.

    I think the flipped classroom method is very useful because students have different learning rhythms and with this method teachers ensure that all the students learn.

    The most important thing is that students know how to do things. It is unnecessary to takes notes of things that are on Internet. “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn” (Benjamin Franklin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion this is a very interesting post because it talks about something that is true and we are aware of it. We all know that we are doing it wrong but we are still stuck to a traditional teaching methodology which lacks of many very relevant aspects to provide a succesful education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noemi!
    I´m completely in favour of your post.
    I think that our education is very old and we need to make a lot of changes, so I think that this proposal it´s fantastic.
    Each student has his/her own pace of learning, and with this method, they can listen to the videos all the times that they need, so they will understand everything, however, when they are at school and the teachers explains something, if they don´t understand it, they don´t ask to repeat it because they are ashamed or they don´t want to break up the class.
    The only downside of this idea is that all the kids must have an own computer in their houses and maybe some families can´t pay a computer.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I think that this is a great idea because children are motivated to introduce elements in the classroom that are outside of it.
    In addition, the class adapts to the pace of children, it increases his attention and it allows the family to participate.
    I have found this video of the flipped class in preschool education in which a teacher called Andrea Buehler, submitted a video of the letter B, she explains how it sounds and how it writes correctly.
    She then explains that they will do the next day in class and she sends students a homework at home.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGM4v30g7o4&feature=youtu.be

    This post is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with this post. It’s a new methodology that reduces the large amount of homework that students normally take home, one of the things that more demotivate students.
    In addition, incorporating this new way of working will help not only to adapt methodologies to real needs of the learning process of students, but also will help make sense of the use of ICT in classrooms. This is important because many teachers don’t use ICT properly because they don’t change traditional methodologies or they don’t take advantage of all the benefits that ICT provide to education.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Noemi.

    I really enjoyed your post. I've never heard about flipped classroom and I think it is a great method. However, as you writed, there are pros and cons, but, in my opinion, the pros overweight the cons. So, it would be a good method to experiment as teachers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Noemi:

    I really like this blog entry! It reinforces the fact that most teachers are some of the best innovators of our time! And that's what makes this profession so interesting and fun. Undoubtedly, these kinds of things restore my faith in Education.

    Probably, this teaching approach can be questioned or even dismissed by traditionalists, but I think Spanish teachers should embrace this methodology or, at least, they should give it a chance. I'm sure this will be worth it: classwork will be more meaningful and motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Noemi, I like the subject you have chosen - it certainly seems to be an approach that could catch on, as it implies blending our teaching with something (technology) that is already very attractive to our students. Also well done for including the video of a teacher talking about “flipping” and also for including the links behind the graphics. Perhaps you should have actually converted the web links you mention at the end into hyperlinks! Finally one question – did you get the list of pros and cons from one of those links or did you compile them from different sources?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stuart! I think you're right about the hyperlinks, I didn't think about it back then, but sure, it could've better! And about the list of pros and cons, I did it myself! I had to think a little bit! hahaha

      Delete
    2. could've been better* (sorry)

      Delete
  10. I like this method because it helps to develop the autonomy of the pupil and motivates them to discovering and experimenting for themselves.
    It's interesting to have new points of view, far from the traditional class, in which the teacher gives an unit and the pupils have to make homework. My cousin has to do more than 100 exercises every day, and he's 9 years old. If this method will carried out, he would have more time to enjoy, and also he would be more motivated for studying.

    ReplyDelete

  11. I liked this post because I think this method helps children to learn in a more effective and stimulates their autonomy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.