First of all a little word about the title of the blog, OurSitCom. The expression "sitcom" generally refers to a certain kind of comedy programme on the TV. However to me it also suggests an abbreviated form of the subject name in Spanish, Situaciones de Comunicación, or if you prefer, an abbreviation of "Situated Communication", in the sense that all communication, like all of other aspects of human activity, is of course always socially, culturally and historically situated - nothing arises in a vacuum! And so, finally, it's called OurSitCom and oursitcom2015.blogspot.com not only because we're going to be doing it together so it's ours, but also because we're doing it here and now, in Ourense in 2015, so we're signposting that this blog is socio-historically situated in it's name too:)
Anyway, now I've had my fun with the name, let's get down to business, as I explain my proposal to you. So far I have individual marks for all of you for the written biographies you've handed in and also for the oral role-plays you've just completed last Wednesday. I propose that the final piece of work in terms of continuous assessment for this subject should be done in small groups of between 2 and 4 people, and should consist of an entry in the class blog, related to work we've done in class together or to teaching in general or to whatever you feel might be interesting for your classmates to read/look at/listen to/watch in relation to this subject and the approach to English language learning and teaching I'm advocating through it.
What I'm really interested in is your doing something fun and creative that highlights both written and oral English through audio-visual and digital means, at the same time as transmitting something that is important and meaningful to you. I invite you to work in your groups as we do in class, doing the work in and through English (I mean, not doing it first in Spanish and then translating into English!). If you include audio or video of yourselves or other people talking English (and this would certainly be a good idea!), this should not be scripted or memorised but rather spontaneous, like in real life, even if you do use some notes to help you.
My suggested procedure is as follows:
- decide who you want to work with
- decide on something you want to present via the blog (related to work in this subject, to the Faculty or to teaching in general
- choose one of the dates available on Doodle for publishing the work
- go for it!
A couple more details about the blog. I have set it up initially so that only we can see it rather than it being open and visible to the public in general. Also I am going to make all of you co-moderators of the blog, so that when it comes to publishing an entry each group can do so directly (without having to send it to me first)
Please use the comments section below if you have any questions about the proposal - in that way, other people can see my answers and it might clear up their doubts too.
I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!
UPDATE (March 2016): Contrary to what you can see in the above entry, the blog is now public, although of course only yourselves the students involved can publish in the blog or make comments.
ReplyDelete